Pages

Thursday, July 3, 2014

Mi Familia Day 3

As with most Mexicans... Even though I am married and have kids of my own, mi familia still bring to mind my immediate family PLUS mom and 4 sisters and 2 brothers and their spouses and kids!

Lets start with my mom.  Who I am blessed to still have around at 85 years of age.  Although she only has a first grade education, she has been the greatest teacher I have had and will ever have.  She reads daily for hours.  Mostly, the Bible and other spiritual books. But we all know that scripture is not leveled or first graders! She has endured so much pain in one lifetime, that I am amazed that she is still standing. Although married almost 50 years, until my dad died. She raised all seven children mostly on her own due to my dad being in the states and the rest of the family in Mexico.  When the whole family finally came to the US in 1965, dad was not the most involved parent due to mental illness. In spite of it all and because of it in some ways...we all stuck together and grew up to be fairly successful in many different areas. Her story is what I share to connect with my srudents' parents each year at curriculum night to show the importance of the parents in a child's academic life regardless of education level.
By the way I am also very close with my in-laws. A Pack of 10 led by another amazing matriarch (RIP), but that is a whole other post.

But now on to MY immediate family.  You kind of have to read previous post because how I came to teaching is a result of the my family life.  Anyway I am married to the first and only boyfriend and love I ever had. This September it will be 24 years, with a little break of about 10 years in between. He is an amazing musician, carpenter, husband and father.

During which time we have been blessed with 3 beautiful, kind and smart children.
Rebeca My oldest is in the final stretch of her teaching degree at Northeastern University. She hopes to be teaching High School Spanish in the Fall of 2015.  She is a reading ADDICT.  She was reading at the age of 3.  (I guess that even though I was nota  certified teacher back then, I did have some influence at a young age). If I really wanted to teach her a lesson,  I would take away her books.

Next is Marcos who Just finished his Freshman year at College of DuPage.  Although he's undecided, I  am a little pleased to say he has been taking some education classes.  He is also working at a local school district as a summer program counselor. He is a sports FANATIC. He would rather do anything but READ a book! So I'm not sure where I failed there.  But throw him any math problem and he can solve it in no time.

Finally my youngest, Andy.  Who has tested my patience at a whole new level, but yet I love dearly. He just finished his freshman year in H.S. Is the tallest of the whole family, including my husband and still has a couple more inches to go according to his doctor. Yikes! He is a reader, but mostly WWII books.  He is my little historian. Also loves sports, but is addicted to gaming. He made it to the state finals with the Morton Varsity Volleyball team.

So that's a bit more about my family. I am so proud of each one for a variety of reasons, but that too is a whole nother post. They teach me lessons daily that I use to make me a better educator, mom, wife, daughter and person.  

3 comments:

  1. So much to be thankful for, what a great family! Like you, I married my only boyfriend as well. I am excited to have as many happy years ahead as you have had with your husband!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great family and loved learning about them all! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're blessed with a great family! By the way, Happy 4th! :)

    ReplyDelete