Pages

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Day 2 My Teaching Journey


“Ever since I was little I wanted to be a teacher.” How many times have we heard that?   But it is true.  As far as I can remember my favorite thing to do was play school and read.  Unfortunately, we are sometimes influenced by others and make decisions based on well-intentioned family opinions, fears, insecurities or just plain chance.  I am not blaming or making excuses. I would not change my experiences both good or bad for anything. They have made me who I am today.  I was the first and only of my family, seven siblings including me, to go to college.  Teaching just didn'tt seem like the best career to make a good living at. So I got my Bachelor’s in Business Administration/ IDS (Information Decision Sciences) What I was going to do with that I wasn't really sure, not as cut and dry as teaching degree.
I was fortunate to have great jobs in Business Credit Management, Office Management, and Regional Training.  Notice I said jobs not career.  In all of theses companies and roles, I ended up doing some kind of training, teaching or mentoring.  I tried to find fulfillment through church since my jobs weren't helping me make that difference I longed to make. After a series of Unfortunate Events, including: quitting my job, death of a parent, and divorce…I ended up at a cross roads.



I had three young children and needed  a ”job” where I could still be available and involved with my kids.  A friend suggested I sub for District 100 , since they were in need of Spanish speaking subs. Thus I found my true calling and career.  After Subbing for 6 months or so, I applied for summer school where I met Marilyn McManus and was hired for a full time position WITHOUT A TEACHING DEGREE!!! ( Transitional Type 29 Certificate) I started teaching 2 half-day sessions kindergarten in 2002.
I went back to school for my masters at Dominican  University while teaching full-time and raising three amazing children.  Yes, I am “still” teaching Kindergarten.  No, not because I keep flunking. I LOVE IT!  I have also taught half day Bilingual Kindergarten at Irving School three years, been the bilingual reading support for 1st & 2nd grade, but am back in all day Bilingual Kindergarten at Hiawatha for my 13th year.
 
I love happy endings, so I will share mine with you.  I remarried my husband several years back.  I can’t help but think it was just a necessary detour to bring me to my childhood dream of being a teacher!  I believe my experiences have helped me be a good friend, mentor and colleague, which I have tried to do up to now  and hope to continue to do even more so now through my blog.



(Side NOTE: for you non-Bilingual folk, Mexicans talk in circles, so I apologize if my story is not in nice linear fashion, I write how I talk.  This is one more thing I’d like to include as I blog – insight into the bilingual mind. Hope it helps.)


4 comments:

  1. Love you story!!!!! And the Oz quote! So happy you found where you belong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you found your way to Hiawatha. I know I have learned a lot from you.

    I cannot believe you used that image in your post. That is one that I have always wanted to print and hang in Keira's room. Funny that I found it again on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Endings are the best! Especially when you wander so long trying to find them. Life might be easier if you knew how it would all work out in the end...but then your accomplishments might not taste as sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your story! and how you found your career and passion in education. And the pictures...awesome addition to your story! Love the Wizard of Oz one best!

    ReplyDelete